Sunday, April 20, 2014

Blog Post #13

The link for the Blog Post #13 instructions are here: Blog Post #13 Assignment Criteria.

Gauging from what I learned about the use of technology in a science classroom, there seems to be no two science classrooms alike. I found this to be intriguing,
WebQuest Guidelines by World of WebQuests
since it means that scientists approach their classrooms in a manner that allows them to be creative and innovative. In the 21st Century science classroom, however, science teachers need to be able to collaborate with other teachers, students and communities globally. One of the many technical aids that I looked at, WebQuest, is one of the ways science teachers can improve their classrooms. WebQuests are a very simple, but technically useful, tool that can help science teachers create structured, interactive, and educational lessons. A great feature of WebQuest is that the templates are already designed in a standard format that can be modified to fit the individual teachers' needs. It also has a large community of educators that share, collaborate, and support one another. Since WebQuest's must be created from activities on the World Wide Web, it really encourages the use of other technologies that make it unique. While some might see this as a handicap, I think it is an asset that gets a lesson going and keeps it structured, and this can take a lot of worry out of working with PBL-type activities. As for science, it goes hand in hand with the applications of the scientific method.

Scientific Method Procedure by Make It Solar
As part of this blog post, we were asked to use the scientific method to create a science blog spot. In choosing my topic, I would make the choice on what type of blog I want to build, which will be a science blog called "Mr. Science Maniac's Blog Spot." The problem I need to identify is what will the layout, theme, and so forth, which will likely be comprised of an astronomy-like background. I would then research on the web, library and any available resources on the best approach to get my blog spot up and going. My hypothesis will be to design an elegant science blog spot that science students and teachers would enjoy visiting. The experiments I will design would include trials and errors to get my blog spot to be substantive, informative, pleasant to the eyes,and meaningful in resources that benefit the science community. I would then test the best of the blog spots by previewing them to see if all the attributes I want to communicate with the science community are included. Then, I would analyze those results by sending them to my friends, coworkers, students and colleagues to get their feedback and see if any leaned towards the one I was considering. After I get their opinions, suggestions, and feedback, I will then formulate a conclusion as to which of my blog designs will be used. Hopefully, my problem is solved and I have a great blog spot where science-interested people can go to for some cool science discussion. The next pending question would be how can I get my old fashioned classroom caught up with the 21st Century classroom, if it fell below those standards.

Given that I entered a classroom that was "archaic" and not ready for the future, I could easily look around my classroom and see what we can use to make projects PBL-structured. For instance, the average student has some sort of smart phone, and having only four of them could be useful in getting a project
Students Using Cell Phone for Class Work by The Innovative Educator
started and completed, since they interact with the web, can sync with projectors, etc. Most of these same students will have computers, tablets and other devices they typically use for fun that can be an asset to the classroom. Technology walks into the door the moment your students do, so there should never be any reason to not keep them actively engaged in learning. So, instead of seeing the tech tools your students have on them as toys, see them as a bridge between the classroom and the rest of the world. At least then your anxiety goes down about the use of cell phones in your classrooms. Plus, you will be leaving your classroom smiling every day because your students are happy, working together, and thrilled at having put their toys to real world solutions.

Modeling a blog around my college major has been a great exercise in seeing how diverse blogs can be. I've included the video, Technology in the Science Classroom, to show you what a science classroom should look like and how using technology in a structured manner can give life to your teaching methods. It was great to revisit the scientific method and see how it can be applied to everything we do. I look forward to hearing your comments.



Sources: World of WebQuests, Make It Solar, The Innovative Educator, and On Devon Road.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kevin you did a great job on your blog post for this week. Building a Science blog was a great idea. I love the video you shared showing the students in the classroom interacting with each other. I also believe that technology can give life to teaching methods. Great job and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your positive feedback, Emily. Midway through researching and writing for this blog, I had some more ideas that I am going to work on over the summer. I did enjoy doing the blog, but I think I could have been more "contributive" if I didn't have so much going on. I appreciate your feedback and I will use it to improve myself in the future.

      Delete